Concurrent Systems : An Integrated Approach to Operating Systems, Distributed Systems and Databases paperback (3rd Ed.)
Auteur : BACON Jean
Concurrency is at the heart of many topics within computer science and is the focus of this book from Jean Bacon. The successful straightfoward approach, coupled with new material on operating system functions, synchronization, shared memory, middleware, mobile computing and transaction processing will make this book a key core text for courses on concurrent or distributed systems
The coverage in this third edition is now wholly relevant to a distributed computing course It provides students with the most up-to-date knowledge of the theory behind modern distributed systems, enabling them to move seamlessly from a first programming course to being able to program operating systems. The book is also suitable for self-study or distance learning and has been proven on a user base of many thousands of students.
1. Introduction: Examples and requirements
PART I. Background and fundamentals
2. System structure and dynamic execution
3. The hardware interface, I/O and communications
4. Support for processes and threads
5. Operating system functions
6. Fundamentals of distributed systems
PART II. Single concurrent actions
8. System structure
9. Low-level synchronization primitives: Implementation
10. Low-level primitives: Use in systems and languages
11. Language primitives for shared memory
12. IPC and system structure
13. IPC without shared memory
14. Crash resilience and persistent data
15. Distributed IPC
PART III. Concurrent composite actions
16. Decomposable abstract operations
17. Resource allocation and deadlock
19. Concurrency control
21. Distributed transactions
22. Distributed computations
PART IV. Case studies
24. Mobile computing
25. Transaction processing monitors and systems
Appendix: Evolution of computer systems
A.1 Introduction, technological and commercial context
A.2 Operating systems and distributed operating systems
A.2.1 Multiprogramming batch
A.2.2 Centralized time-sharing (interactive) systems
A.2.3 Workstations and personal computers
A.3.1 distributed programming, communications and services
A.3.2 mobile and ubiquitous computing
- Focused coverage of distributed computing.
- Incorporation of Java and UML.
- New material on Security, Low-level Primitives, Middleware, Mobile computing and Transaction processing
- Extensively class-tested material
- Self-assessment questions in each chapter to complement the more challenging end-of-chapter exercises and project work.
Date de parution : 12-2002
Ouvrage de 736 p.
Sous réserve de disponibilité chez l'éditeur.
Prix indicatif 77,27 €Ajouter au panier